------------Permission to forward------------
Pelican Book Group announces the return of Easter Lilies. While Easter Lilies was originally run as a short story contest, the resurrected Easter Lilies will not be a contest, but conducted as an annual special release much like our Christmas Holiday Extravaganza. Each year, one Easter Lilies story will be released on each day of the Easter Triduum. (Yes, only three stories per year.)
2013 Defining Scripture for Easter Lilies is: Solomon 2:2 "Like a lily among thorns is my darling among the maidens."
Easter Lilies are historical or contemporary romances. In addition to adhering to the guidelines for the White Rose imprint, the following is also necessary:
- The defining Scripture for the year must be used as a basis for the story. (This scripture will change each year on October 1st)
- Stories should be between 15,000 and 25,000 words.
- Both the hero's and heroine's points of view may be incorporated, however, we'd like these stories to be "hero-driven", so ideally, stories should focus on the hero's love developing for his heroine. These stories may be historical or contemporary, but they must be set around the Easter holiday.
- Heroes and Heroines should be between the ages of 25 and 35.
- In addition to using the current year Easter Lilies scripture as the reference, some symbol of the Easter Lily must also be incorporated. Easter lilies have long been a symbol of purity, motherhood, the trumpet herald of the Angel Gabriel as he visited the Virgin Mary, of resurrection, and more. (Feel free to research and use different symbols. These are listed as example only). How you incorporate any of the symbols is up to you. Whether it's an actual flower that the hero gives to the heroine (or vice-versa), or a piece of jewelry, or a spiritual experience. The use is up to you. Perhaps your hero is a Christian musician who plays the trumpet. Perhaps your heroine has lily earrings that have been passed through her family. Perhaps your hero had a "resurrection" of his faith through some experience past or present, or maybe your heroine is a mother. How you incorporate the Easter lily symbolism is up to you. It can be subtle or overt, but it has to be there.
Submissions for Easter Lilies are accepted August 1st through September 30th each year. Submissions for Easter Lilies that are received outside this time frame will be discarded without response.
These guidelines and submission information can be found at: http://pelicanbookgroup.com/ec/submission-guidelines/easter-lilies-submission-guidelines
Labels: Call For Submissions, christian fiction, contemporary, Easter, Easter Lilies, hero, heroine, historical, industry news, Pelican Book Group, romance, White Rose Publishing, Writing