Simple PLEASURES

Can you believe that we're well into November already? Sheesh! Sneeze, and the holiday season will be upon us and we'll be staring at this. 
Our Christmas tree last year
Nice, huh? But do you notice the pressure beginning to mount right about now? A lump that slides down your throat? Or a slight catch in your breath?

Yeah, me, too. Writing deadlines. Thinking of perfect gift ideas. Venturing out among the swarm of holiday shoppers and fighting traffic (I don't do traffic well). Holiday parties. Baking. Cleaning the house...

You fill in the blank for your family. The never ending to-do list is enough to make a person want to crawl back under the covers and hide until the season's over. Right?


He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in him, 
whose thoughts turn often to the Lord! Isaiah 26:3 TLB

I kind of lose my balance on those days that I miss my sweet communion with Him, don't you? I firmly believe that God knows how much I miss worshiping at His feet, and He gives me simple pleasures to dwell on His goodness throughout the day. Like these:


The soothing sound of a fountain or the peacefulness of a quick walk around the park

A comforting cup of hot chocolate


Warm, fuzzy slippers

A perfect, North Carolina blue sky

Crazy animal antics

A hug or smile from one of these sweeties

Simple pleasures that mean so much. Simple pleasures that take my mind off of insignificant details and the busyness of the season, and help me focus on Him and His love for us. 

What are the simple pleasures God plants in your path every day?
How do you destress during the holidays?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Fiction Faith & Foodies: Simple PLEASURES

Friday, November 8, 2013

Simple PLEASURES

Can you believe that we're well into November already? Sheesh! Sneeze, and the holiday season will be upon us and we'll be staring at this. 
Our Christmas tree last year
Nice, huh? But do you notice the pressure beginning to mount right about now? A lump that slides down your throat? Or a slight catch in your breath?

Yeah, me, too. Writing deadlines. Thinking of perfect gift ideas. Venturing out among the swarm of holiday shoppers and fighting traffic (I don't do traffic well). Holiday parties. Baking. Cleaning the house...

You fill in the blank for your family. The never ending to-do list is enough to make a person want to crawl back under the covers and hide until the season's over. Right?


He will keep in perfect peace all those who trust in him, 
whose thoughts turn often to the Lord! Isaiah 26:3 TLB

I kind of lose my balance on those days that I miss my sweet communion with Him, don't you? I firmly believe that God knows how much I miss worshiping at His feet, and He gives me simple pleasures to dwell on His goodness throughout the day. Like these:


The soothing sound of a fountain or the peacefulness of a quick walk around the park

A comforting cup of hot chocolate


Warm, fuzzy slippers

A perfect, North Carolina blue sky

Crazy animal antics

A hug or smile from one of these sweeties

Simple pleasures that mean so much. Simple pleasures that take my mind off of insignificant details and the busyness of the season, and help me focus on Him and His love for us. 

What are the simple pleasures God plants in your path every day?
How do you destress during the holidays?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

At November 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Barbara Lynn Culler said...

Simple pleasures are great! For me, some would include snuggling in a blanket on a chilly morning, being barefoot after being at work all day, watching the antics of my two cats, and being nestled in a chair with a good read!

 
At November 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Oh yes! Absolutely! How could I leave out nestling in a recliner with a great book?? Sweet, Barbara. I hope you have a chance to enjoy all of these over the weekend and the coming months. :)

 
At November 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM , Anonymous Tom Threadgill said...

A lazy Sunday afternoon, fire going, dog asleep in front of it, wife sewing (sleeping) in the chair next to me, hockey game turned down low. Ahhhhhh.....

 
At November 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Sounds heavenly, Tom. Except I'm not sure a hockey game is ever turned down low, especially not in our house. :D
Hope you can enjoy all those simple pleasures this Sunday!

 
At November 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM , Blogger Pencildancers said...

really Tom? a hockey game on low?????? Never in my house. :)
Diana

 
At November 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

I'm with you, Diana. Even if it's a team I'm not interested in and I have my nose in a book, the volume is not turned low for a hockey game. Ever.

 
At November 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Tanya Hanson said...

I love the holidays and try to slow down and savor them. Being a gramma now makes Christmas even more fun. Years ago I played the English hand bells at the church we went to then, and it was SO stressful. I learned then not to take on too much and to start early and NOT procrastinate.

I love the pictures and your lovely reminders today, Dora xoxo

 
At November 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

I hear ya, Tanya. Our little grands are growing up so fast though. Time for more! :D

 
At November 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM , Blogger Jackie Layton said...

I love these simple pleasures.

Hot tea is one of my favorite simple pleasures and curling up with a good book.

Have a great weekend!

 
At November 8, 2013 at 9:01 PM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Thank you, Jackie. Wishing you a Son-kissed weekend!

 
At November 8, 2013 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Shelley Wilburn said...

Simple pleasures...curled up with a good book, sitting with my hubby watching anything or nothing on TV, watching the grand-boys...it doesn't take much for me. And the holidays never stress me. I'm more like Buddy the Elf when it comes to Christmas. Hahaha! We get to celebrate Jesus' Birthday!!!! ;-]

 
At November 9, 2013 at 8:49 AM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Ahhhh...just thinking of curling up in front of the fireplace with a great book warms my tummy. Shelley, you are the first person I've ever met that doesn't stress over holidays. Good for you! :)

 
At November 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM , Anonymous Linda Bartosik said...

I so completely agree Tom! In my house it's New England Patriot football since we live on Cape Cod. That's how I spend every Sunday afternoon in the fall. The Pats have a bye week this week and I'm missing it already! Lol! @ Dora - great P idea!!!!! Linda :)

 
At November 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Karla Akins said...

Simple pleasures are the best! I love my fuzzy slippers and snoozing dogs on each side of me as I write. Just time with HIM is also a pleasure I relish. I am so thankful for the peaceful solitude He is able to slip into my chaotic life! SO GRATEFUL!

 
At November 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Speaking of snoozing dogs...did your little one recover from his chocolate overdose the other day? Such a cute picture belly up on the couch.:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home