Excited about Eating by Ernie Hiers

This edition of Excited about Eating takes us to McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon located right off of I-77 and Old Pineville Rd in south Charlotte. 
McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon
This smokehouse, with both indoor and outdoor seating, reminds me of what a local BBQ joint should look like with wood interior, BBQ paraphernalia on the wall, and loads of TV’s.
McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon
We chose to share the Living the Dream (LTD) platter, a combination of ribs, pork, pot roast, and smoked BBQ chicken with sides of mac n’ cheese and fried okra. The St. Louis style ribs were great, not fall off the bone as most BBQ restaurants serve, but with a little pull after the bite like KCBS competition ribs. The smoked pot roast was different, something I've never eaten. 
McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon
Living the Dream platter
Dora here. While we were contemplating the menu, I remember commenting that I wished they offered a combo minus the pot roast. But, no matter. I gobbled the pot roast down first! :) And look at that crusty bark on the mac & cheese! Yummy! I'm really not a fan of okra, but their crispy vegies won me over. (Sorry, no pic.) Even with two of us eating off this plate, we still brought home a leftover container with enough meat to make a pot of chili. Sa-weet!


Have you tried smoked pot roast? 
What did you think?
What's the most unusual smoked meat you've eaten?

We rate this restaurant 4 forks out of 5 for a family friendly restaurant serving great food.

McKoy's Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
view my restaurant reviews on usrg.com

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Fiction Faith & Foodies: Excited about Eating by Ernie Hiers

Saturday, January 2, 2016

Excited about Eating by Ernie Hiers

This edition of Excited about Eating takes us to McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon located right off of I-77 and Old Pineville Rd in south Charlotte. 
McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon
This smokehouse, with both indoor and outdoor seating, reminds me of what a local BBQ joint should look like with wood interior, BBQ paraphernalia on the wall, and loads of TV’s.
McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon
We chose to share the Living the Dream (LTD) platter, a combination of ribs, pork, pot roast, and smoked BBQ chicken with sides of mac n’ cheese and fried okra. The St. Louis style ribs were great, not fall off the bone as most BBQ restaurants serve, but with a little pull after the bite like KCBS competition ribs. The smoked pot roast was different, something I've never eaten. 
McKoy's Smokehouse & Saloon
Living the Dream platter
Dora here. While we were contemplating the menu, I remember commenting that I wished they offered a combo minus the pot roast. But, no matter. I gobbled the pot roast down first! :) And look at that crusty bark on the mac & cheese! Yummy! I'm really not a fan of okra, but their crispy vegies won me over. (Sorry, no pic.) Even with two of us eating off this plate, we still brought home a leftover container with enough meat to make a pot of chili. Sa-weet!


Have you tried smoked pot roast? 
What did you think?
What's the most unusual smoked meat you've eaten?

We rate this restaurant 4 forks out of 5 for a family friendly restaurant serving great food.

McKoy's Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At January 2, 2016 at 7:51 AM , Blogger Jill Weatherholt said...

Is this across from the Post Office in downtown Matthews, Dora? The building looks familiar, but the place I'm thinking of used to be a seafood spot.
I'm not a fan of fried okra either! As for smoked post roast, I've never had it, but it sounds good. :)

 
At January 2, 2016 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Jill, after further review, we think this place is actually in Charlotte and not Matthews.

 
At January 2, 2016 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Jill, McKoy's isn't too far from downtown Matthews. Off Old Pineville Rd right next to I-77 in south Charlotte, I doubt it's the building you're thinking. You should definitely try the pot roast if you're ever in the area. And for the okra...you might be surprised like I was. :)

 
At January 2, 2016 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Jill Weatherholt said...

Thanks, Dora and Ernie. I'm familiar with Old Pineville Road and you're right, it's not the restaurant I was thinking of. I've never even tried okra...I guess my mother didn't like it since we never had it when I was a kid. :)

 
At January 2, 2016 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

My kind of eating. I have tried and loved smoked pot roast. Can't believe you had never had okra. I like it fixed just about anyway.

 
At January 2, 2016 at 2:09 PM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Oh, I've eaten okra before, Ann, several ways. Just don't care for the texture. It's off-putting to me, but McKoy's was fried perfectly, just enough that the texture wasn't noticeable.

Happy New Year, Ann!

 
At January 3, 2016 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Tammy Doherty said...

We do smoked pork roast but never done pot roast. Perhaps we'll try this coming summer :-) The meat all looks scrumptious!

 
At January 3, 2016 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Smoked pork roast...yum! Yeah, I think we'll add pot roast to our smoking list too! :)

 
At January 3, 2016 at 9:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Ann, I too like okra fixed anyway including okra and tomatoes.

 
At January 3, 2016 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Tammy, I have never smoked pork roast, but I will give it a try.

 
At January 5, 2016 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Tony and I have eaten here before and it was awesome!

 
At January 5, 2016 at 10:38 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Tina, there are a lot of BBQ places around and it is good to find one that is really good.

 
At January 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Hey Tina. You might've been the one to suggest adding McKoy's to our list. If so, thank you! Keep those suggestions coming. :)

 
At January 12, 2016 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Larry G. said...

All the comments are spot on. Great Bbq and sides.. Mac n Cheese is the best in Charlotte.

 
At January 12, 2016 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Larry G. said...

Almost forgot ----Best smoked wings in the queen city.

 
At January 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM , Blogger Dora Hiers said...

Thanks, Larry. Glad you enjoyed our review, and thanks bunches for commenting. Hope you'll stop back by. :)

 
At January 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Larry, sounds like you visited already. We really enjoy it.

 
At January 12, 2016 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the information on the wings, will have to try them on our next visit.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home